Here in Maine, we have entered into the winter season. I don’t know about you, but I love warm, hearty meals for the chilly evenings, and what better meal than Lasagna! This delicious pasta dish is perfect for a cold winter evening to warm your insides and keep you satisfied! Lasagna is also be ideal for freezing and reheating later for meal prep.
Gluten Free Lasagna
Servings: 8 people
- 1 deep dish lasagna pan
- 2 large stock pots
- 14 gluten free lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 Italian sausages (spicy or sweet) chopped
- 1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. can tomato puree
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg chopped
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 8 oz. bags mozzarella cheese
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground garlic
- 1 tsp ground onion
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp salt adjust more or less to personal taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley chopped
- In a large, deep saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add in the ground beef and sausage. Fully cook until the meat is no longer raw, then add in the minced garlic, and the fresh and dried herbs.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook on medium-low heat and bring to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes. While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the lasagna noodles, and cook per package instructions. While the noodles are cooking, preheat the oven to 375ºF .
- In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta and egg. To assemble the lasagna, pour about 1 1/2 cups of the sauce on the bottom of the dish. Layer 6 cooked noodles over the top of the sauce, then spread half the ricotta cheese over the noodles. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the ricotta, then cover with another 1 1/2 cups of sauce. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients and top with the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the casserole loosely with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown. Serve in squares and store any leftovers in the fridge.